The spring blouse has been aptly renamed the ‘monochrome blouse’. Although this is being sewn in our New Zealand spring time, the color palette has a monochromatic feel. It is taking shape – the fabric is cut and the interfacing is ironed on. I think it will be an interesting sew. At this point I’m still undecided about the type of button to choose – contrasting? clear? something else?
This blouse will be part of my work wardrobe. In the not too distant future, I’ll be making a 4 piece work suit consisting of a fitted, lined jacket with matching A line skirt, a pair of culottes and a pair of wide leg trousers. All made up in a black light weight gaberdine.
Why make so many pieces in dark, sombre black? where is the colour? Well… I like wearing blacks and greys. However, I will be introducing a pop of colour with a bright graphic floral print blouse.
Next project is a spring blouse made up in a printed linen cotton using out of print pattern New Look 6636. I have enough fabric to make version ‘A’. Both of these are from the workroom stash.
Although the photo shows the fabric yellowing – in real life it definitely has a crisp white background and grey/black pattern. I’m planning to make at least 2-3 of these blouses to build up my work wardrobe.
Yes the flutter dress is under construction. I’ve almost completed the top (have to add the sleeve facings), the skirt is largely finished (I opted to have an A-line shape to the skirt with soft pleats replacing the darts for shaping). Remember the self tie idea from my last post? I think I’m going to abandon that and just add a smart belt to finish the look. All that’s needed is attaching the top and skirt together before adding the zip (I’m putting in an invisible zip) and hand finishing.
So far this dress has been an easy sew. I’m looking forward to finishing the flutter dress and showing you the end result in the not too distant future.
My next sew is Vogue 9021 (dress B) made up in the paisley print rayon shown above. Both items were purchased from Fab Fabrics (pattern was $5 on sale and the fabric an astounding $10 per metre)
Vogue 9021 is an easy to sew, multi sized pattern. It was the flutter sleeves that enticed me to add this to my wardrobe. The main challenge with the design concept of this dress is that I don’t suit the ‘straight’ skirt style. I need room to move in the tummy/hips/thigh area. So… I’m going to change the shape of the skirt to a slight ‘A line, without compromising the look of the dress too much. I might even add a self tie belt to help enhance the new shape.
The wedding is tomorrow – so I’m chuffed to have got this made with a bit of time to spare. Apart from replacing the fabric loop and button closure at the back with a hook and eye, I stayed true to the pattern. Overall, it was an easy sew. Very happy with the result.
Next on the sewing list is a flutter sleeve dress.
Yes I have started to construct this dress. At the time of writing this, I have the front + back panels complete and ready for the invisible zip. Then all that’s left to do is close up the sides, set in the sleeves, hemming + hand sewing back closure.
I’m very pleased with how this dress has been put together. This is the first time that I’ve used a Papercut pattern and the instructions are simple and straight forward to follow. They also have online tutorials on their website to assist sewers with construction dilemmas.
Had a successful fabric shopping experience at Fab Fabrics. I found the ideal fabric for my Meridian dress – this lovely 140cm wide rayon at an astounding sale price of $10 per metre. It has a lovely soft drape and a vintage inspired floral pattern. I think it will make up beautifully as a short sleeve, longer length Meridian dress.
Even though I’m making the Meridian dress to wear to a wedding – I think it will also be a perfect dress to wear to work, church or out to dinner.
I’m starting my ‘return to blogland’ sewing journey with the signature style Meridian dress from Papercut Patterns based here in New Zealand.
I’ve borrowed the pattern from my daughter who made this dress in a black crepe, saving $30 and the headache of pdf printing + sticking bits of paper together. I’m a purpose sewer – I have to be sewing something to wear somewhere – and my goal is to have this dress finished and ready to wear to a wedding early next month.
My vision is to find a patterned rayon fabric with a lovely drape. There’s nothing suitable in the fabric stash (believe me, I’ve looked!) Time to go fabric shopping. There’s a new fabric store just opened up nearby Fab Fabrics that I’m very keen to check out.